Director of Service Learning
Department of Communications
The Service Learning Initiative
The Service Learning Initiative is a joint initiative between the University of Arkansas Provost Office, the Honors College, and the Division of Student Affairs. Service learning builds critical thinking skills while engaging in academic courses that promote experiential, community-based activities. Formulized service learning courses must meet the committee-approved service learning definition and criteria, and be approved for designation by the Service Learning Committee.
Service Learning Definition
Service learning is a credit-bearing, faculty-directed, teaching-learning experience that is course specific. Service Learning strengthens academic content knowledge and sense of civic responsibility. Students build critical thinking skills as they engage in experiential, community-based activities that are aligned with and integral to academic course work. At the same time, the community (real people in real situations) benefits from assistance that would otherwise not be available.
Students can visit the Service Learning program course page to find courses that have been designated with service-learning components. Faculty can find criteria to develop courses that will be considered for designation as service learning courses.
Service Learning Steering Committee
- Gabriel Diaz Montemayor, Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design
- Casey Kayser, Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences
- Lisa Bowers, College of Education and Health Professions
- Kevin Hall, College of Engineering
- Donia Timby, Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences
- Rogelio Garcia Contreras, Department of Marketing, Sam M. Walton College of Business
- Megan Hull, Graduate School and International Education/Office of Study Abroad
- Jen Edwards, Student Success at the CORD
- Chelsea Hodge, Honors College
- Amelia McGowan and Annie Smith, School of Law
- Claire Allison, Center for Community Engagement
- Richard Cassady, Teaching and Faculty Support Center