Marty D. Matlock
Executive Director, Sustainability Programs
238 Sustainability House
Graduate Certificate Offered:
Program Description: The Graduate Certificate in Sustainability is interdisciplinary, drawing from faculty and course work across all colleges of the University of Arkansas. The graduate certificate is accessible to all students admitted to the Graduate School, both degree-seeking and non-degree seeking, who wish to pursue advanced study in Sustainability. The purpose of the Graduate Certificate in Sustainability is to provide functional graduate-level knowledge and skills related to the emerging discipline of Sustainability organized around four thematic areas reflecting strength in scholarship of University of Arkansas academic colleges: Sustainability of Social Systems, Sustainability of Natural Systems, Sustainability of Built Systems, and Sustainability of Managed Systems. Students who complete the graduate certificate in Sustainability will be expected to:
- Articulate commonly accepted definitions of sustainability and discuss various nuances among those definitions as well as engage in analytical thinking to enhance sustainability measures;
- Address real-world problems of sustainability to reinforce their professional interests.
- Have an understanding of the interdisciplinary nature of sustainability issues, particularly as they pertain to the thematic areas of knowledge addressed by the graduate certificate (sustainability of natural systems, sustainability of managed systems, sustainability of built systems, and sustainability of human social systems);
- Be conversant regarding acquisition and analysis of data pertinent to measuring sustainability;
- Communicate orally, and in writing organized thoughts defining sustainability measures and technical aspects of sustainability;
- Identify potential strategies to address sustainability issues using appropriate analytical methods and data and provide results of analyses of data using novel sustainability metrics and indicators;
- Make recommendations, based on data analysis and interpretation, to advance sustainability of individuals or institutions.
- Develop methods, techniques and tools for implementing sustainability initiatives.
Students must earn a grade of “B” or better for all courses used to fulfill requirements of the Graduate Certificate in Sustainability.
|WCOB 5023||Sustainability in Business (Sp, Fa) (Required course for the Graduate Certificate)||3|
|Elective courses with sustainability focus selected from a broad menu of offerings in four thematic areas:||12|
Sustainability of Social Systems
Sustainability of Natural Systems
Sustainability of Built Systems
Sustainability of Managed Systems
Elective courses must be completed in at least two thematic areas. In addition, nine of these 12 hours must be in courses numbered 5000 or above.
A complete list of elective courses may be found on the university's Sustainability website.
, Recreation and Sports Management
, Sociology and Criminal Justice
, Honors College
, Industrial Engineering
, Biological and Agricultural Engineering
, Agricultural Law
, Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness